To review the THRU IT Sexual Content Response Plan see: Sexual Content Response Plan: Do You Have One?
Here are the steps:
- Tag it: Call it what it is.
- Halt the behavior: Turn it off. Turn away.
- Responsible for the thought: Watch the thought pass on by.
- YoU have a divine nature and destiny: Repeat affirmations.
- Inhale: Take three deep breaths.
- Talk: Talk with God.
Inhale-TAKE THREE DEEP BREATHS.
At this point you have practiced: TAGGING the sexual content calling it what it is; HALTING any behavior allowing ongoing exposure to that upsetting sexual content; Taking RESPONSIBILITY and watching the upsetting thought pass on by. And finally YOU have repeated affirmations about who you are and where you are going. The next step is INHALE, that’s all just take three deep breaths.
IMPORTANCE OF BREATHING
Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress in the body. This is because when you breathe deeply, it sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax. The brain then sends this message to your body. Those things that happen when you are stressed, such as increased heart rate, fast breathing, and high blood pressure, all decrease as you breathe deeply to relax.
Oxygen is the most vital nutrient for your body. It is essential for the integrity of the “THINKING” brain, nerves, glands and internal organs. You can do without food for weeks and without water for days, but without oxygen, you will die within a few minutes.
By intentionally thinking about your breathing, you can ground yourself in the present moment. You can practice observing without reacting, simply watching each breath, without feeling a need to change it.
Check out this scripture:
God…is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will … Mosiah 2: 21
There is power in deep breathing.
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Genesis 2:7
1) Imagine yourself in a calm setting with running water. Preferably use the same image created in the previous RESPONSIBLE and YOU steps. (It’s good to keep the running water nearby so when the upsetting thought returns.) Perhaps a mountain forest with a nearby running river.
2) Take three deep breaths. Get in as comfortable position as possible. Intentionally think about each breath. Begin with inhaling deeply, all the way down to your belly. Count “one” to yourself as you exhale. Let the breath come naturally without trying to influence it. Go to three. Do more if you need to.
The sex instinct is not something which we need to fear or be ashamed of. It is God-given and has a high and holy purpose. Hugh B. Brown, You and Your Marriage, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1960 p. 73.